An Index to Roads Shown in the Albemarle County Surveyors Books, 1744-1853

Report No: 76-R45

Published in 1976

About the report:

Albemarle County, formed from Goochland in 1744, is fortunate in having preserved in its records three volumes of surveys made by the surveyors of the county between 1744 and 1853. In a sense, Albemarle County's good fortune extends to several other counties in central Virginia for they were at one time partially or wholly within the confines of the county. These additional counties and their periods of inclusion in these books are: Amherst 1744-1761; Appomattox (portions) 1744-1761; Bedford (portions) 1744-1754; Buckingham 1744-1761; Campbell (portions) 1744-1754; Fluvanna 1744-1777; Nelson 1744-1761. Although indexed by names of patentees for whom the surveys were made, these books contain a great deal of information not readily apparent from a perusal of the index. Owners of adjacent land, locations of patents and grants, and locations and names of roads of the colonial and early national period are apparent on many of them. This index lists these roads named as well as those still unidentified, and the county within which they are presently located.

Disclaimer Statement:The contents of this report reflect the views of the author(s), who is responsible for the facts and the accuracy of the data presented herein. The contents do not necessarily reflect the official views or policies of the Virginia Department of Transportation, the Commonwealth Transportation Board, or the Federal Highway Administration. This report does not constitute a standard, specification, or regulation. Any inclusion of manufacturer names, trade names, or trademarks is for identification purposes only and is not to be considered an endorsement.

Authors

Other Authors

Nathaniel Mason Pawlett

Last updated: January 29, 2024

Alert Icon

Please note that this file is not ADA compliant. Choose one of below options: